Studies show that 75% to 90% of employees will steal from their employer. Theft can take many forms, from the coffee that the cashier “forgot” to ring up, the produce that the cashier let lean on the side of the scale to give a friend a lower price on those steaks, theft of product from the stock room or just out-and-out skimming from the register. So as a store owner how do you deter theft in a way that will allow you to run your business without turning into a full-time store police officer?
One way that is rapidly gaining popularity due to its ease of use, time savings and rapid return on investment is an integrated store surveillance system. Although more expensive than the off the shelf products that sell for a few hundred dollars, these products allow the t-log information from the POS to be burned into the video image allowing the transaction log and the video to always be in sync. Integrated systems also allow for intelligent monitoring where only transactions where a void or over ring can be quickly viewed. They also can be set up in high theft areas to monitor when someone moves into the video frame. Additionally these products can be monitored remotely and securely so an owner does not have to be in the store at all times.
Studies are showing that integrated video surveillance systems are one of the top technology purchases for 2013 due to their proven effectiveness.
Are integrated video surveillance solutions right for you? Possibly not. Your local RDS representative can help you evaluate your potential ROI to determine if one of these systems is right for your business.
Join the conversation….
Some examples of their value some of our many customers with these systems have shared with use are:
- A fraudulent slip and fall lawsuit that was avoided after video was reviewed.
- A thief stealing from the office safe that was caught.
- A cashier that was not ringing up items for friends and family.
- A stock boy who was stealing merchandise from the storage room during his night shift.
- The unprofessional behavior of a bartender towards customers.
- A cashier that was giving free drinks and food items to her friends.
- The shoplifter that was caught stealing baby formula.
- A C-store cashier giving away beer.
- Many, many more
If you have a something to share about how video surveillance has helped your business please post in the comments below.