By David Scott Peters
First, what is a management plan?
A management plan is your written strategy for how to get your restaurant to where you want it.
New ideas have very little value unless they are put into action. This management plan is a tool that translates ideas (I should or I’ll try to) into action (I am). This helps solidify your commitment to turning your restaurant into a profitable and smooth running operation. It also provides the direction your management team needs to do their jobs to your expectations.
In developing your plan for improving your restaurant operation, remember these helpful tips:
- Study every aspect of what you want to implement – does it fit with your management style and goals.
- Believe in your plan – have confidence in your ability to make it happen and work.
- Teach, involve and delegate to your team. You can’t do it alone and you need their commitment, buy-in and most importantly their support.
- Work hard to make it happen! See rapid results!
Benefits of a management plan
A management plan produces:
- Clearly defined goals to achieve
- Knowledge of achieved success
- Clear communications
- Organized thoughts and ideas, identifying/rectifying omissions
- Systems for realizing short and long-term goals
- Less stress
- Increased bottom-line
- Increased cash flow
- Improved employee morale
- Business growth
You should have several objectives in mind when developing your management plan, but your ultimate goal is to build a more profitable business (a virtual cash machine), work less, have less stress, and have a real personal and family life.
Just remember, any business is only as good as its people believe it is!
In the next blog post, I’ll provide you with the questions you need to ask of yourself and your restaurant to be able to put your management plan together.
David Scott Peters is a restaurant expert, speaker, coach and trainer for independent restaurant owners. He is the developer of SMART Systems Pro, an online restaurant management software program helping the independent restaurant owner remain competitive and profitable in an industry boxed in by the big chain restaurants. He is best known as the SMART Systems guy who can walk into any restaurant and find $10,000 in undiscovered cash before he hits the back door… Guaranteed! Learn more at www.TheRestaurantExpert.com.